Make your own free website on Tripod.com
Dubar's T-34
Home | 1/6th Vehicle Projects | Photo Stories and Dioramas | James DeSimone Vehicles | My Custom and Kitbashed figures | The Armory | Dad's WWII Pics | Related Links
ACTION FIGURES AT WAR

Click on picture for larger image

All Pictures below are thumbnails, click on them to see larger images

T-34/76 Model 1941
As built by Factory #183

The one thing I noticed right away was that not all T-34/76 tanks were built the same. As a matter of fact, even the same model (year) were not built the same. It depended on which factory in which it was built.

From the pictures I could find and my own observations I settled on Model 1941 as built in Factory #183.

Click on picture for larger image

Click on picture for larger image

I started off by replacing the wheels. The one piece wheels as came with the tank would not permit using a track with the guide teeth centered on the inside of the track. I decided to make my own wheels using Bondo fiberglass resin. I made a master mold then pour 20 wheels. After finishing them off, I mounted a spacer between two of them to give the guide teeth a place to pass thru. I also made some wheels to replace the front and rear drive and idler wheels. I used an old rubber track I had laying around. Even though it’s not accurate, I think it looks good on the tank.

Click on picture for larger image

Next came modifications to the turret. I started by cutting out the hatch and making a new one that would hinge. I also cut the turret ring away from the hull and mounted it to the bottom of the turret. Next I used a plastic ball-bearing turntable in between the turret and hull so the turret would traverse easily. I added lift eyebolts and side extensions to the turret to look like a picture I found. The biggest improvement was making the gun mantlet a separate piece so the gun would elevate. I used a piece of pvc pipe and cut and modified it until I got the look I wanted, then I placed a piece of pvc pipe inside the turret and bolted the mantlet to it so give it movement.

Click on picture for larger image

Click on picture for larger image

I then added tow pad eyes, exhaust pipe extensions, a "DT" LMG, cutout and replaced the driver’s hatch, and installed seats in the front hull and turret for the 4-man crew. Next was to cut out and hinge around the engine deck. Last thing was to make the tool box and mount that to the right side of the tank, then paint.

Click on picture for larger image

I tried to copy the paint scheme from an article I saw in AFV Modeler Magazine Issue 8, even though it was from Factory STZ instead of #183. I painted the interior white. On the outside, I initially had a quart of paint (European Dark green) mixed to match what I read was an exact match to the Russian green paint used on tanks. The result was a green that was too green, not enough brown in it to match what I thought it should look like. I decided to give it a splash of oxide red, which I rubbed off as I put it on. I then followed this up with a splash of oxide burnt umber and rubbed/wiped off as well. This gave the appearance of a dirty, brownish/red surface. I finished up with a wash of Floquil Dirt applied the same way to give the appearance of having been thru a muddy, dirty environment then dried on afterward. I believe I captured the feel of a tank having been thru a recent muddy battlefield terrain.

Click on picture for larger image

Here's some pictures I snapped this morning before it starts snowing (it's awful cold here). The site I got the slogan from says it means "For Mother Russia".

Click on picture for larger image